Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Assassinorum: Execution Force - Chaos Cultists W.I.P.

Hi everyone, here's my first update on my board game side-project. I decided to start with Games Workshop's Assassinorum: Execution Force (as you probably already knew from the post title...)

So... I just can't keep things simple. In the box set you get 3 each of 5 variants of chaos cultist. I didn't want to have so many duplicates so I decided to mix things up a bit with some simple head and weapon swaps to make them look a little bit more individual and rag-tag. I also gave them all industrial style bases to match the board game.

assassinorum_execution_force_chaos_cultists_conversions

Nothing complicated, cut, glue, fill, sculpt... Aha! that reminds me. I decided to try something out I'd read about online some time ago. I used a mix of epoxy putties for the filling and sculpting. The mix was a 50/50 mix of Apoxie Sculpt and good old Green stuff. from what I've seen online the mix can be carved and drilled a bit more easily than pure Green Stuff, but still retains a bit of it's flexibility, reducing the hardness of Apoxie Sculpt.

The Apoxie Sculpt feels soft and waxy (much like Fimo if you've ever used that), mixing it with Green Stuff is really easy. The texture ends up somewhere between, but the interesting things to note are that when mixed this way the Apoxie Sculpt gets rid of the "memory" of the Green Stuff so it generally stays where you push it without any of the spring back you can get with GS, it smooths very easily and the cure time is reduced quite noticeably too.

Here are some shots of the 5 variants of cultists. each image has the original unconverted figure in the center and my minor conversions on either side:

assassinorum_execution_force_chaos_cultists_conversions

assassinorum_execution_force_chaos_cultists_conversions

assassinorum_execution_force_chaos_cultists_conversions

assassinorum_execution_force_chaos_cultists_conversions

assassinorum_execution_force_chaos_cultists_conversions

I enjoyed trying out the putty mix, it was quite a different experience from Green Stuff alone. I think I'll be doing it that way from now on. The cultists just need a touch of clean up and such and will be ready to paint.

See you all soon.

Take care.

6 comments:

  1. Great conversion ideas, they're simple and hence not too time consuming but they're enough to break any monotony, especially if you add variety with the paintjobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the idea, I'm thinking maybe several neutral dirty tones overall, they are the dregs of society. With one coloured garment showing their new allegiance to the chaos overlords, probably a deep red since I'm leaning toward painting the Chaos Marines as Word Bearers.

      Delete
  2. Great job making them all unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I like them a lot better now that they're not a bunch of identical copies.

      Delete
  3. Awesome work, Jonathan! I'll have to give that mix a try myself. I'm always a apprehensive about trying this things in case I spoil it and waste money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The putty mix was interesting to try out. It did feel different to work with. The thing I had to get used to mainly was I didn't have to apply as much pressure as I would have with GS to get it into the shape/place I wanted it.

      And now that it is cured I can attest it feels quite durable. I've used my scalpel to straighten some edges and scrape a little of the rougher areas. It actually feels like a plastic to work on.

      Delete